Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Hello Southwest Publishing!

Today marks an anniversary for me.

Exactly one year ago today I started my job at Southwest Publishing and Mailing Corporation.

This job, like every other job I have had is a God kind of job. He opened the door for me to walk in and He gave me the boldness to continue to go back day after day.

If you follow my blog you'll know that November of 2013 I felt like God was asking me to jump off of the cliff into the great unknown with Him. That specifically meant that I quit my job of five years at Billy Vanilly Cupcakes and took a month to just seek His face and trust Him. I didn't have a job lined up when I left Billy Vanilly. I had an idea of a field I was headed into but that was it.

My last position at Billy Vanilly allowed me to work in the office paying bills and organizing information. I was really enjoying this, especially as I was going to school at the time for a business degree. So when my month of rest was over I applied at a few places. I had never heard of Southwest when I saw the advertisement, but the job description sounded right up my alley. I prayed, got an okay, and then I applied. The next day I got an email from the guy doing the hiring to set up an interview.

Before I began to search for jobs I prayed and asked God for a few specifics in my new job. I wanted to work in an office. I really didn't want to have to wear a uniform (I definitely had to at my previous jobs). I wanted to have weekends off as I had worked pretty much every weekend at my previous jobs. I also asked God to allow me to make the same amount of money that I had made when I left Billy Vanilly. I wasn't too sure if he would answer that one as I would be starting at the bottom of the ladder.

When I went to my interview I told God that it would be a big sign to me if this was the place He wanted me if they would allow me to work more than the sixteen hours they had posted. If they were really strict about the hours it wouldn't work for me.

In my interview I was immediately told that the position could actually be long term rather than a one semester internship. I was also told that I had to at least work sixteen hours, but I would be more than welcome to work more than that if I wanted. After more discussion I felt pretty peaceful when I walked out of the interview. I did my best and God would take care of the rest if that was where He wanted me.

It turns out that God wanted me at Southwest Publishing. He answered every single one of my prayers. I even started at Exactly what I made when I left my last job. He answered more prayers that I can't actually remember right now. He's just good. Sooooo good.

I had a hard time adjusting to life at Southwest Publishing because the environment is night and day different from a cupcake store. On my first day filling out paperwork I heard over the intercom the name of someone that I used to go to church with. I was thrilled when it really turned out to be him, especially because Southwest can be considered a rough place to work and there are not very many people who desire to follow Jesus there. 

Let's just say Southwest was nothing like I expected.At times at the beginning I would walk around the plant and I was just amazed at God's hand at work. I have been through some rather horrible situations in life that I would never wish on anyone else. Because of those a place like Southwest, with a lot of rough characters, especially men, would have terrified me, if it hadn't been for God's healing in my life. This job has been a sign to me that God has healed me. I am not the quiet and terrified girl that I used to be. I am a bold woman of God. I have had incredible opportunities to share my faith with my co-workers. I have opportunities to become friends with people I never would have expected to be friends with. God is incredible.

This job has also been a big part in opening the door for me to enter the field of social work. If I hadn't begun this journey and taken this job I would not be where I am today. God is good. Soooo good. He has blessed me beyond words. Southwest Publishing is a place I never expected to be, yet I love it so much. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I plan to be here a while (if God lets me stay!).

Thank you Jesus for being there to catch me when I jumped off the cliff into the unknown. Your ocean is
incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment