My job has been a God thing from the very beginning. After I graduated high school in 2008 I went to Mexico for a semester. After coming back it was time to start college and find a new job. I wanted something in the baking field as I had hopes to one day open my own bakery. So I looked up bakeries in Topeka. I found one that had a website. Daddy Cakes. I looked it up. Suuuper intimidating. They had pictures of beautiful cupcakes and cakes on their website. I thought 'there's no way I could make that!'
Yet I strongly felt God telling me to apply. So I emailed the store to ask if they were hiring. The owner replied and we set up an interview. I had the hardest time finding the store when I went in. I finally found it and after my interview I still wasn't sure. It wouldn't provide me with enough hours. Yet I strongly felt God telling me to accept the position. He would take care of me. Thus began my career at Daddy Cakes.
I took a break for a season when I moved to Colorado. When I came back I didn't think I would return to Billy Vanilly. However God saw differently and I went back to work at Billy Vanilly. Instead of returning to the kitchen however I began working again in retail, as the manager, and took a position as the office manager as well. It was once again great and I was learning more and more about running a store. Plus I got another raise to help balance out the fact that I was working less hours because I began attending school again. God was taking care of me.
|Ariel's Cupcake Deco Party|
|Working with a dear friend!!|
* I remember the day I walked into Daddy Cakes for the first time for my interview. It took me half an hour to find the place.
* I remember working in a tiny store with a clock tower above it. There was only room for two or three customers at a time yet we often had lines out the door on a Saturday morning.
* I remember moving into a new store. It was HUGE!!
* I remember when the name changed to Billy Vanilly Cupcakes.
* I remember actually having to start wearing a uniform. Tough transition. Seriously. ;)
* I remember working countless Valentines Days with nonstop craziness. It's the busiest day of the year!!
* I remember all of the fun conversations I had with my boss. She calls me boss and I call her boss. We have an unconventional relationship. ;)
* I remember baking countless cupcakes...I remember the first time I baked over 100 cupcakes at a time!
* I remember moving into a position where I got to interview people and choose who to hire. Fun job!
* I remember making daily bank deposits and new friends at the bank! ;)
|My boss and I! ;)|
* I remember working with one of my best friends. They say it isn't good to live with your friends...or work with them...yet we only grew closer through all of that. and we had SUCH fun times working together. laughing together. dropping things. laughing together.
* I remember working up front and realizing how often certain people come in. We truly have weekly, sometimes daily, customers.
* I remember answering all of the silly questions....like which cupcake is the red velvet one. (It's red!)
* I remember all of the fantastic people I have worked with over the years. They've become my friends.
I am soooo grateful for the opportunity to have worked at Billy Vanilly Cupcakes these last five years. I don't regret it for a moment. However, it is time once and for all to say Goodbye Billy Vanilly!